Thursday 20 November 2008

The buzz of other peoples happiness

I'd like to start by saying thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leaving comments it is very much appreciated.

I have had an uneventful week so far, peaceful and happy. I'm keeping a strong hold on that piece of wood though!

I've spent the last few days enjoying my son and catching up with friends, its been the most amazing week considering nothing major has actually happened.

On Saturday my son and I went to watch the Christmas lights get switched on with my best friend C and her family. I love that feeling you get from all the excitement and the community spirit that seems to be pulsing through the town and then to top it all the joy and happiness I can see shining out of my sons eyes and the beaming smile plastered across his face as he counts down 10...9....8. The anticipation I see in him as he counts with Santa. He gasped as the lights went on and the fireworks started. There it is the meaning of my life all bottled up in one little man bursting with excitement.

After the event we strolled back to my friends house and her partner cooked us a wonderful meal as the two boys played star wars with their new light sticks from the carnival. My friend has just had a little boy he is now 6 weeks old and this was the first opportunity that we'd had to catch up on the mum stuff! This is her first child but she is step mother to a nine year old boy as well. As we're sat there gossiping away talking babys and nappys I see it, that sparkle of unexplainable unconditional love as she looks at her little boy. That love you feel in your heart has got to be the most beautiful emotion. I can't believe the rush I feel then knowing the joy my best friend of 20 years is feeling. It really does have to be one of the most amazing scenes, a mother with her new born baby.

So I've checked in with other friends all pretty standard really being the Christmas season, happiness and excitement all round.

I have two friends that aren't so good right now both going through break ups and not in the best of places right now. I've spent a lot of time talking to them this week, just general chit chat and catching up with a bit of banter and madness thrown in on my side, this is the point I thank my Dad for my dry slightly insane sense of humour.

Even though they are both in such sad places right now they have brought me a huge sense of joy. Both of them have used the words, thank you so much you have really cheered me up I didn't think it was possible for me to actually smile anymore. Wow the rush of warmth from making other people feel some kind of happiness. What a buzz.

So I would like to say thank you to my friends for letting me share their happiness with them, it really is a privilege and yes I will admit that other peoples happiness really does bring you happiness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how the happiness of others can make you feel all warm and bubbly inside to ? :) Keep smiling!